I’ve been trying to get calzones right for a few weeks now. The first time I tried there was too much filling and too much liquid in it. I struggled to pinch the dough together as it was so stretched over the packed filling. I managed it, but then it split in the oven and because the filling was too moist, I had liquid running all over the baking tray and a cooked but slightly soggy bottom. They tasted good, but they weren’t something I felt I could share.
This time I’ve got it right. No fresh tomatoes in sight, but a thin spreading of tomato puree over the dough to give that tomatoey taste that you really need in a pizza. I also cooked and then drained the filling in a sieve while cooling to remove any excess liquid.